Sunday, January 10, 2010

CS3216 - What do I hope to learn in CS3216

This blog is started cos blogging is kind of assignment in CS3216, a module I will be taking this semester. I'm not the kind of person like blogging, but still, it's not that I dislike it. Anyway, if this can help be become better, I will do it without hesitation.

The first and foremost reason why I take CS3216 is because of my brother's recommendation. Truly, without his recommendation, it is very likely that I would have ignore the email regarding to CS3216 in my email box, like many other emails. Secondly, it is also recommended and taught by my cool professor. In my opinion, what my prof recommend must be very interesting as well as useful. Furthermore, as I have just taken CS1101S last semester, a module which is also taught by my prof, I expect very much in this module. Then I began to read carefully and also find information on this module, and then, I started to like this module very much. Things ltaught in this module seems to be very, very interesting. Finally, an important factor that I decided to take this module is that I like challenge, and I want to get mature at any cost. The fact that a common reflection on this module is like 'workload is insane' not only doesn't make me give up but also makes me want to try harder, harder and harder. Also, to me, it's kind of "I would rather regret giving it a shot than not trying at all." - quoted from someone in CS1101S. Last but not least, "no pain no gain" right, "there's no free lunch", if I want to be mature, I must try hard, and CS3216 is a perfect environment to do so, and challenges or difficulties are just very useful ways to make and to force people to get mature, I think. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", my prof believes so, my friends believe so, and so do I.

What do I hope to learn in this module? Well, many things, especially when I myself is a programmer but also is not a programmer enough at this time, I can say. Why I call myself a programmer, because I'm currently COM1 student, and I like coding, programming very much. and I intend to become a programmer. But why I also call myself not a programmer enough instantaneously? The reason is very simple that I'm new, very new to the field of programming. I majored in Maths from class 6 up to class 12. And before NUS, I knew nothing, nothing at all, about programming. It was just that I like helping people, and I truly want to help people, and I think that computing is a very useful way to make my dream come true. Many useful application can be created in this field, which means that many people can be helped. Therefore, I choose computing. The result is that now I am here, present in CS3216 with a role of a programmer but my knowledge about programming has just been built in one semester, which is not significantly different from a non-programer's knowledge. However, I mention it here, only to mean that I must, and I will try harder, much much harder. Just so in CS3216.


What do I hope to learn? I think it's kind of better to list things.

Selling? Money? There's at least one reflection on this module which is like 'this module is all about selling and making money', kind of. But do I truly want to learn about selling money? Still, it is an important factor in life, but actually, it's not the very reason for me to make an application. I pay more attention to how my application can help people, or even change their life, what my application is used for, rather than some other issues such as how much I can gain by this application, how many people people use it. To me, an application that changes life of a single person , or just make a small group of people happy is more appreciated than an application that is just a normal relaxing way used by many people. Still, it's easier thought than said, and then than done. An application that changes life or kind of so is not easy to build, and not easy to think of, truly, but I still like this idea. Maybe this will be changed in the future, when my knowledge is larger or someone makes me change, but now, I still want to keep that thought. It is but to say, to me now, the criteria for me to build an application is firstly what and how it is used for, who will use it, and money and popularity only come after them. know the number of users is very important when building a large/big application, but I can only think carefully about this issue and maybe change my opinion later, when I find more information, knowledge about it, now I don't have enough information and knowledge yet. Anyway, it has been a little off topic. What I just want to state here is that money and selling is not the very first reason for me to build my application, but still, they are kind of important and are must-known things in life cos still, I have to live :), and also I have to advertise and sell my application, because if there's no users, then what is my application for? Truthfully and seriously, money is also important, and who can say that he doesn't want to make money at all? Me as well. But to me, it's not the first priority. The point is that I will try to make money with my application, not try to make application that earn me money.

Programming? Yes, truly, programming. Programming is one of the things I hope the most to learn in CS3216, and to raise my programming ability . Web programming, software engineering, ... Although CS3216 is not a module just about programming, but still, there are many things about programming to learn in CS3216. And now I can't wait to learn them.

Teamwork. Teamwork is a very important skill in life, cos only a person cannot dramatically changes the life, I think. And in CS3216, there's a lot of teamwork. Still, my teamwork skill is not very well, if not, even bad. I haven't done many team projects yet. For a few team projects in the past, my team even utterly failed due to many factors such as weak co-operating, weak organization. The rest are some projects I did together with very close friends of mine. We knew each other well before the work so it run rather smoothly. Truthfully, I only do team projects with new friends, kind of, a very few times before. But it only means that I will try very hard in CS3216 to improve myself and contribute to the team project, as usual :).

Let's discuss a little more about programing and teamwork. Actually, now I'm not skillful in programming as well as not good at teamwork. But what's the deal? To me, that's not the problem. The point is not that now I am weak, but is that I want, and I will try to become stronger. The problem is not that now I am not skillful and good enough, but is that I haven't learned yet, haven't seen the point, the idea yet. When I see the point and get it, I will rise rapidly, I believe.

Lastly,it's 'how to learn' in life, I think. If I'm not mistaken, prof describes this module not as a programming module but a life module, kind of. In this module, students will learn how to learn in life, how to survive in life. There will be skills about life taught in this module. Everyone will eventually get mature, but at which rate, which speed, and how, they all depend on each person and can vary greatly from people to people. I want to get mature as well. And I'm looking forward to learn many useful lessons in CS3216.

Still, there's an important thing to mention. Tomorrow is always a mystery. And life is not so simple that I can really know what I can learn, what I will learn in the future, i.e, in CS3216. In addition, isn't it kind of boring if I know very well :-P? The last thing I hope to learn in CS3216 is many things that I haven't hoped/known yet. There's things that people don't know that they don't know. Also, there's things that people want to learn but they don't know, they want or just haven't wanted yet, I think. Me as well. Possibly, eventually, after CS3216 there will be things I truly want to learn and am happy to be able to learn taught in CS3216 but I don't list here now. Maybe even more surprisingly, that in the end, the very best thing I learn in CS3216 lies nowhere but in these sentences.

I intended to ends here. But still, there's one more 'last' thing I must say. Simple. It's not just that I hope to learn, it's that I will try my very best to learn.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone will eventually get mature, but at which rate, which speed, and how, they all depend one each person and can vary greatly from people to people.

    Absolutely right. CS3216 is strange module. It has no *real* prescribed syllabus. What you get out of it will eventually be determined by what you put in. :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you truly love something, you go for it with all your heart and follow all the way to the end with dedication. This is what I like the most about you. I'm happy but not amazed at how much maturity you have gained since I last met you.
    CS3216 seems to be a hard class but you have a desire to challenge yourself, don't you? Just keep in mind one thing. Whatever you do, you always have my support.

    ReplyDelete